Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oiling the squeaky wheels

I wasted an embarrassing amount of time today staring at the blinking cursor on a white screen. I wanted to write. I wanted to work on a fiction idea. But words just would not flow.

I realized that I don’t practice writing nearly as much as I once did. Oh, I still write plenty. But most of my writing these days is academic writing (which means...NO FUN). It isn’t the same tone, voice...anything.

I blog, too. But again, I am not writing nearly as much as I did a few years back. These days, it’s brief snippets of time, when inspiration suddenly strikes.

And right now, I’m reminded of a quote (don’t remember by whom) that says something to the effect of there is no such thing as inspiration.

I just sent an email to my best friend, telling her this very thing. As I typed my note to her, I asserted that maybe what I need to do right now is get back to serious writing practice. More specifically my Morning Pages (Julia Cameron).

So practice I must. Practice I will. I’ll oil these squeaky writer wheels of mine. They’ll eventually stop grinding. They’ll start rolling more smoothly. They’ll once again transport me to exciting places, where I can write to share with others. I have no doubt of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment